St Isidore the Farmer Catholic Church

Pastoral Council Meeting Minutes- February 1, 2016

In attendance: Fr. Staples, Mike Choate, Len Whitehead, Jody Sowa, Susan Lawson and Patricia Harbin.

  1.       Meeting started at 7:05 pm.

III.       Opening Prayer & readings.

  1. Approval of January 4, 2016 minutes.

Business

  1. It was agreed to change the Pastoral Council Meetings to begin at 6:30 pm.
  2. Review of topics/resolutions from last meeting:
  3. Sound System update- Father did follow up with Jim Ashley to get the price list for the speakers recommended, as yet he has not received it from him.  There should be no problem installing the system because there is 120 power in the existing emergency lighting.
  4. Stained Glass lighting-.  Father did talk with John Keeney and they feel they have worked out exactly what is needed.  This installation should be completed in February.
  5. Prayer Chain-  Father did talk to the office staff about being the point of contact for this and they agreed that it was something they could handle.

a-We will start this after the Bishop’s Lenten Appeal.

b- Susan Lawson did bring in the sample Prayer Request Card.  With just a small change we will be able to have a similar card available.

  1. Father asked Len Whitehead for an update on the website.  Sadly he reported that the website has been hacked and he will have to completely rebuild the site.
  2. Statue/Rosary Garden/Cemetery/Terrace

a-Statue: Father is working on a document that will outline all the details

concerning this project, including addressing the questions and

concerns that have been brought up previously.  This will allow the

parish time to be offer suggestions, ask questions or mention

further concerns.  If there are any Father will address each one.

1)  In February Father will meet with  the individual parish groups and ask each group for their input.

  1. With this input Father will finish and  release the document the first of  March.
  2.  The parish will have a few weeks  to ask any further questions.
  3.  Tentatively Easter weekend for kicking off a pledge drive.

b- Terrace: There has been a committee of John R. Clemente, Tom McDonnell, Pete Zahn and Dan Patterson who have been hard at work coming up with exact plans and cost projections for this project.  They will present their results to the parish some time in February and answer all questions about this project, including financing.

c- Cemetery: The committee for this has completed their work.  All that needs to be done is surveying the property, which should be completed in February.  This will also be presented to the parish detailing everything.

 

New Ideas:

Suggestion Box-  A suggestion was made that no announcements be made after Mass or at least done before Mass.

a- Father will work with Tina to establish a cutoff day for items to be

entered in the Bulletin and what needs to be announced.

b- It was discussed that there seems to be too much outside information in the Bulletin and it could be put to better use for the parish.

2. Social Life- The idea for having a special event for St. Joseph will not be done this year.  There are just too many things happening around this time.

a- Father still wants to try to have something for St. Isidore’s feast day in May.

3. Spiritual Life-

a- There will be a holy hour each Wednesday during Lent.  This will start February 17th at 7 pm.  The holy hour will be devoted to praying for our Nation and Mercy.

b- Father will be doing short talks at the Friday Soup Suppers.

1- One suggestion was for a Trivia type Q&A

c-Father is exploring 2 different adult religious education programs to start in April.  They will be offered Wednesdays at 10 am and 7 pm.

  1. Next meeting- March 7, 2016

VII. Closing prayer

VIII. Adjourned at 8:50 pm

Submitted by Patricia Harbin, February 2, 2016